Skip to main content

Reply to "DMX FAILURE"

Intruder1400,

Yeah, it sounds like this is a relatively common problem. It seems that the root of the problem is that all the units read data from the same link of XLR/DMX cables. When no DMX signal is present, whichever units are set to 'Master' start generating their own signals over the same cables to control the other units. That works fine and well when the other units are programmed to follow those commands (not sure if it's true DMX or some other protocol). The problems start when other units receive that data and aren't able to understand it or don't act the way you think they should. That's what causes the erratic behavior - same as when you use a bad cable which likewise renders the DMX data unreadable. Unless someone else speaks up that has more experience with these situations I'd say it's something you'll probably have to live with.

Now, being an engineer, I'm sure there's a way to make a cable or box that can optically isolate the Revo from the rest of your lights. There are some isolated DMX splitters on the market, but they're not cheap. You could possibly solder a diode into a cable to keep the signals from going 'backwards' down the chain when DMX is not present (which I suspect is also happening), but now I'm getting into serious speculation! Without hooking this up to an oscilloscope to really see what's going on I can't recommend you try that! Of course if you do, let me know. I'm always up for learning new things! Good luck and sorry I can't be of more help!