Skip to main content

Reply to "DMX - Beginners How-to"

Thanks for the reply. I guess I described my situation worse than it actually is. But since this is my first venture into DMX, I thought I'd cover the bases.

I've got the principle on addressing the individual lights, based on how many channels they have (light 1 w/4ch is ch1-4 w/start address of 1, light 2 w/4ch is ch5-8 w/start address of 5, etc.). Perhaps you could give me some pointers on setting up a basic plan. Like I mentioned, I have 8-10 DJ Scan's (more on the way) and 2 Pentabeam Lasers. These are my only DMX-type lights so far. I'd like to get a general 'sound-activated' program(s) for use when I'm just playing general music for the audience. And when needed, be able to manually (and quickly) control these devices. My wife owns a bridal shop and naturally, I need to control my lights when needed on the runway for the models.

Unfortunately for me, I've always learned best by taking things apart, rather than learning how to assemble them. So getting direction in setting up what I have currently, will help me in 'tweaking' it, as well as adding and growing. Reverse engineering at its best.

I managed to hook up 2 lights to my LC2412 controller in my living room and have them both do the same thing based on moving the sliders. But each light took up 4 sliders. I'd like to add multiple lights to one group of sliders. And since my trees would be placed on each side of the booth, the actions would have to be mirrored relating to left and right sides. Also, I'd like to use the DJ Scans as follow spots that would be fixed on one spot on the floor, and all move together while staying together. In otherwords, visually 1 spotlight moving where desired. I'm thinking that there might be a way of lining up the beams onto a fixed mark on the floor, and maybe 'locking' them in so they travel together. 2 sliders could move all the lights through the X/Y axis while still staying focused together, all while still taking into account that 4 may be mounted to my right, and 4 mounted to my left. But perhaps that may be beyond the capabilites of what little I have. I dunno...

Thanks again for whatever help you can offer.