Skip to main content

Reply to "Dimmer packs do NOT need a profile."

Hi all.  So I see this topic was started back in 2008.  I am very new to mydmx software and I am helping a church redo their lighting.  They have 4 different kinds of dimmer packs but were only using one of the kinds - which they cant remember right now.  I tried the generic 4 channel profile and it did not work for any of them.  Whoever set the dimmers up originally created a custom profile that only had 1 channel.  This does not help me as I need all 4 channels to work. We recently did a software update and most of the fixtures set up in the system no longer respond properly anyway.  We are now starting from scratch.

I am now testing them all directly to the dongle using profiles in mydmx..  I can only get one to work correctly.  The others either don't respond at all or, although I have them set as separate channels in mydmx, the the channel lights on the dimmer pack turn on when I adjust the subsequent fader, whoever the light does not respond. It stays on even when the power is turned off.  No change in its response - its just using the pack as a power source.

I love the idea of just entering the conventional lights as their own channel instead of putting in a 4 channel dimmer pack.  I'm looking forward to trying that.  Im just wondering if anyone else has had these problems with software updates.  I got the elation DP 415 to work using its profile.  However I'm using the Chauvet DMX-4 now to test and again, the green lights on the dimmer pack respond to the faders in my dmx, but the lights do not.

I also know I should use too many different brands together.  Right now I'm just trying to trouble shoot and get something to work.

Thanks!