Skip to main content

Reply to "CK 1000"

Well, the scratching feature is not something that I'm ideally after or needing. I'm not doing battle DJ or "stage DJ" stuff, it would just be for a DJ to show up and have a basic and easy to use system, which the CK1000 would be. I would of course be familiar with how it works, but it would not be something I'd ideally be using a lot because I'm an audio engineer and not a DJ.

But, this brings up a question I do have in regards to scratching in general, especially in regards to doing this via CD-based systems. How is the scratch effect? I would suspect that the more you pay, the better it gets. But first off, the CK1000, I take it someone isn't happy with the scratching effect. Why is that? I'm just curious.

But overall, how does CD scratching compare to LP/Vinyl scratching? This isn't CK1000 specific though. Is it comparable or does it get all digital artifact-prone?

I'm in a position where I don't need to buy something like this, it's not a necessary purchase. I can accomodate an existing DJ's rig via a pair of direct boxes if I have to. But I find if I make things more accomodating(as in: I spend the money, get the gear and then someone else takes the credit), it helps get business. But I'm not in the DJ business anyways. I had a wedding where the bride couldn't make any sort of commitment, but I assured her "whatever you throw at me, I can handle". They went elsewhere, I was told it was a train wreck. Oh well. Not my problem!

Overall, I wouldn't expect the CK1000 to be a total end solution for DJ looking for more advanced things. Looking at the cost and feature set, it seems oriented towards club DJ's and party DJ's, which is fine, there's a vast market for that. Cue up, set cue points, cross-fade with auto-start and is CD based, seems straight-forward and easy to use. Ideal for music playback.

I'm interested in how people feel about scratching digital vs vinyl.