Skip to main content

Reply to "CK 1000"

I'm not a big fan of the American Audio products, but I have been conversing with another user over here about the CK1000, I think anyways.

What sort of issues are you having with the CK1000 exactly? You are saying it resets, but does this mean ONE deck is resetting, or both(or the whole unit?)?

There are so many places for optica-media to fail. Are you using burned discs? If so, for audio, are they red book? I have't investigated what is necessary for MP3 CD's because, well, frankly, I think the MP3 format sucks and is not worth investigating. Cheaper discs and even certain chemical colors can affect certaind decks in certain ways. There are silver, gold, green and blue chemical layer CD-R's(that I am aware of), and I've seen some decks that don't care and some that are very, very particular. I've seen some decks that even love CD-RW's with no problem.

Many people don't burn their CD-R's right either. That right there is the cause of most problems.

I would say if in your home applications for the CK1000, are you using commercially produced(pressed) CD's? If anything, for at least testing purposes, that's a good starting reference. Most of the DJ's I know, honestly, I'm surprised anything they use works because their CD's(all of them) look like they doubled at as grindng discs they were so scratched up I just don't understand that mindset of not taking care of your stuff.

I would say if the CK1000 is causing you headaches on well protected pressed CD's, then it's definately something with the CK1000. Using burned discs of whatever flavor, well, who knows without doing further examination and testing.

I'm sure you remember "back in the day" where CD's were new and those old players, as well made as many are(and many are still working just fine) choke on anything that is NOT a pressed CD. Back then, CD-R was super expensive and cost prohibitive, where as now you can get a pack of cheap-o CD-Rs for as low as 100 for $5 sometimes and a IDE-interface burning drive for $15 these days, depending on how lucky your timing is. The older decks were well made but didn't need to be super flexible. These days, it's practically a given that any CD playing unit should read just about any type of disc, provided it is in format it can handle(such as red book audio).

I was thinking of investing in a CK1000 as it would have been a cost-effective DJ-upgrade/plug-in to my live sound rig. Now, I'n not so sure. I mean, not to be nasty, but if this device choked on me at an event, it quite literally would be yanked out and destroyed on the spot and the carcass left in a non-salvagable state. I don't have time for gear that doesn't work, and if it doesn't work, then it doesn't deserve to remain intact or even repairable.

Any product can have a problem. Narrow it down and figure out where it is. If under warranty, get it swapped out. As audio professionals(albeit at different levels), we don't have time for faulty gear.