Skip to main content

Reply to "Changing patches per location..."

One of the big problems is that people don't prepare ahead. I have my tech rider sent out and then I arrive and find out not one item has been hit except maybe a place for the event.

Getting information and GOOD COMMUNICATION back and forth is essential. Email, phone, texting, drive down and get in someone's face(I can't do this much anymore, it's not feasible most of the time), but COMMUNICATE. Better venues have a dedicated(ahem) person who is supposed to be able to handle this sort of stuff.

If touring acts can go around from venue to venue and the promoter is hiring production(sound and lights typically) and if these sound and lighting companies can be in place, set and ready for the acts and their techs and crews ahead of time, surely a fixed location can handle doing the same thing.

Now, as far as events go and news coverage, I don't know WTF it is, but when I do events, the news tends to stay away. Not sure why, just the way it is. I don't mind local news, just stay the hell out of my face while I'm trying to work and we'll all be fine. Be nice to me and I'll throw a feed out to you via a matrix, but if I give you that feed and you give me grief, the mute button is just a single press away! The Tech God Giveth, and the Tech God Taketh Away. I'm not called the BOFH for nothin'!

Back to the topic. Even if the venue doesn't have the configuration you want or need, doesn't mean you should give up. Just means you need to find out what they have so you know how to adjust to that, but it sounds like you're already there.

Since your shows are simple by your standards, I'd say don't sweat it, work off-line, communicate with the venues and make different shows for different venues. Yes, it does take time, but in the end it is well spent time.