Skip to main content

Reply to "Changing patches per location..."

MyDMX has a few thousand profiles. If you go to the MyDMX page on the ADJ web site, there are profiles to download via multiple makers, so you might want to pull down a few of those as well.

From how I understand it, the target market for MyDMX is DJ's who want an easy to use computer-based controller package, as opposed to a hardware controller, because of more "high-tech" type shows, especially when you want to throw in things like moving heads and scanners. DJ's tend to be "tight on cash" and so they won't have gobs of money to spend, so the concept was to make a feature laden package at a great price/performance point that would be comparable to a an upper low end or lower mid-range DMX controller you'd find in a retail establishment. MyDMX crams way more into what it offers than any console in the same price range can offer.

Theatrical or DJ aside, MyDMX has worked just fine for my live sound production company. I DO NOT do DJ work at all. I am NOT a DJ, I don't own DJ gear, I don't sit around spinning music. I do concerts and events only. So, I'm not really the target market, but I was looking to replace my DMX Operator with something with way more features, and myDMX fits my needs quite nicely.

With MyDMX, don't sweat the fact that the company putting it out is "American DJ". This package should serve your needs quite nicely. MyDMX includes a program to make your own profiles, should what you're looking for not be available. You might want to play with that feature. The MIDI control is pretty good but needs some work. Even so, I find myself doing quite well with control with multiple Korg nano-devices, namely the nanoKONTROL for direct control(gives me a fader surface with buttons and knobs and even buttons for triggers). The package itself is very flexible and adaptable. Really, the biggest problem would be any lack of vision or imagination that would hold you back.

Of course, there are limitations of the software package and it does affect what you want to do. You want to move your fixtures to new addresses and want the programming to follow the changes. Sadly, MyDMX won't do that, it is a limitation of the software. The more I post and read, the more I learn. For me, this isn't an issue, as I'd either program to the venue after I've made my 3D Visualizer stage model and hence a matching universe based on what the theater techs have provided, or else I'd use my own and have control.

MyDMX doesn't stick you with "one set up, there ya go". You do have to load your "shows". Agian, restrictions are more of what you CHOOSE to restrict yourself with. You can save each "show" with a custom name for each venue, so when you come back, there it is. Yes, it would most likely involve repeating work, but when you come back again and again, you're already done. It's not an ideal compromise, but it is a workable and acceptable solution.

Again, I come from the "old school" world where we just simply get it done. "What, I can't move my fixtures in in my universe and programming won't follow? I'll just have to make a new show and flat out get it done. Where's that pen and paper...."

Working off-line is great. Take advantage of it. You obviously already are.