Skip to main content

Reply to "Cable Question"

I am placing my electrical tape ON the connector itself, partially to act as an additional securing factor since I've had more than 1 AccuCable connector come apart on me, but I'm wondering how much of that was due t someone not paying attention. I find when I put the tape on the cable itself, it tends to come unravelled or move and then get sticky around there and hence picks up dust, gunk and gets on my hands. Then again, maybe I need to step up to better brand. OR, maybe, I should just build all my own cables and use colored shrinkwrap... But if I gotta lop an end off in the field and do a repair...

SerraAva is not alone in trying to use a color scheme to identify cable lengths. I would do that myself as well, but I never have the time to do it. I also buy cables on sale and in numbers, so I have a lot of different cable lengths, mainly 20' or 25'. I'm not going to say his idea isn't a good one, because it is a good one, it's just not something I really need to do. I just need to ensure lighting and microphone cabling don't get mixed up.

When you have crew that is both inexperienced and not paying attention, mixing up cables is too easy to do. 3, 4 and 5 pin XLR are the same physical size connectors as far as barrel size. I have to remove the excuse factor for them. The one problem with DMX is the fact that there is too much 3 wire when if it was 5-wire, we'd almost never have issues.

In an ideal world, things should be more as SerraAva suggested: You have the audio guys dealing with audio, and the lighting guys dealing with lighting. In my case, I have to have guys who move from one task to another, and so they might be striking sound one minute, and the next they are taking down a lighting tree.

I could go on and on about the sonic differences of different brands of cabling for quite some time, because not all cable is created equal. In the case of this application, it's necessary to clearly differentiate between lighting cabling and XLR microphone cabling. That is what is most important.

When you get to my level in audio, you do tend to what better labelling, but as I said, time doesn't permit. When you get to SerraAva's level in lighting, it makes absolutely perfect sense to be as organized and labelled as possible. No guesswork, and no memorization as the color scheme is on the box too. Need a shorty? No wasting time rummaging around and hoping for the best, now there is an easy to follow code.

I'm also still recommending ADJ's AccuCable because I use it and like it for lighting so I'll most likely stick with it.