Skip to main content

Reply to "Audio Triggering"

Thanks for your RE Chris, very insightful and complete.
(Bowling is fun and easy! Some advice from Ol' PinCup... Roll the ball, don't throw the ball. Harder throw = no control.)

I'm not a regular in the ADJ forum (our bowling hole-in-da-web http://www.bowltech.com/conten...threads.php?ubb=cfrm ), I am facility manager and must spread my time solving all issues in the building, pinsetters to plumbing to the Rock-N-Bowl lights and sound.

I had not seen the "No New Features" post.
That shocked me when I read that. Seems rather short sighted.
I'd think the programmers would want to stay on top of the game. Always improving the product.
That's what we do here! Always trying to stay the best.

It's kind of funny how I can just move some of the fixtures around and folks think we have a whole new light show.

I can see where many Mobile DJs (I DJ'd weddings and parties for 20years on the side, about 10 events/yr, and have DJ'd in the center's night club (Top40), and at Country Bar as well.) could use the sound activating feature.
A "start it and forget it" is what's needed for these application.

My Front Desk employees are NOT super technical folks! Roll Eyes
For VirtualDJ, we have pre-made playlists that will run for the whole night. Easy enough.
VirtualDJ is also a very user friendly program to learn.

I'm looking for the same thing in a DMX program, start it and forget it.
Something I can pre-program, and the staff can open and start.
So far, Freestyler is in the lead. It's free, and the dongle is cheap. It's praises sung by DJs in other forums. This way I don't have a huge investment, so when/if MyDMX bounds forward with a new version, I can still get it.

And Yes, I've already acquired a separate WinXP computer just for my lighting software.
I'm think the same thing you are, running both VDJ and DMX software on the same PC is a bad idea, whatever software I choose.

(Note from PinCup to the programmers of future versions of MyDMX)
Some things I would need from DMX software:

-Start it and forget it. A light program that will run by itself.
In the Mobile DJ market (weddings, corporate parties, private parties), there is little time to fuss with the light show. Filling requests and keeping the event on schedule is job #1.
In clubs and pubs, requests and dance floor rotation top the thoughts.

-Pause or blackout, then restart easily.
"Quick Call" MIDI style buttons that give me about half a dozen scenes that will pause the running chase. User labeled.
I'd name them, -One for Blackout, another for dim light (end of set dance floor rotation),
Soft blue (Bride and Groom's first dance),
Closing time (full white). ect...

-Line In for music trigger. If run through WinAmp or wave, Sound2Light or an internal program, a line signal is already near by. Like Chris said, a mic would have cord length issues and unwanted noise problems.
All good sound cards (internal or external) have Line In, Line Out.

Thanks for everything Chris,
PinCup